Partners and Stakeholders
- The Department for Education (DfE) is responsible for deciding all matters of student finance policy within their remit for England. SLC administers the student finance schemes for students from England and EU students studying in England under their direction. DfE is also the designated Sponsor Department having the primary relationship with SLC in relation to matters of corporate governance, acting in defined circumstances on behalf of all UK administrations. DfE also issues SLC’s Annual Performance and Resource Agreement on behalf of all four UK administrations.
- The Scottish Government’s Advanced Learning and Science Directorate is responsible for student support policy for Scottish students. They advise SLC on how they wish the Company to administer their policies for relevant Scottish students.
- The Department for the Economy, Northern Ireland is responsible for student support policy for students from Northern Ireland. SLC administers the student finance schemes for students from Northern Ireland and EU students studying in England under their direction.
- The Welsh Government is responsible for student support policy for students from Wales. Student Finance Wales is a service provided by SLC, providing higher and further education student finance on behalf of the Welsh Government.
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) - SLC works in partnership with HMRC to facilitate student loan repayments through PAYE and self-assessment. Those borrowers who are in the UK tax system have their student loan repayments deducted at source by their employers (through PAYE) or through their self-assessment tax returns. HMRC then send repayment information to SLC for borrowers’ student loan accounts to be updated.
- Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is the UK central organisation through which applications are processed for entry to full-time undergraduate courses, HNDs and university diplomas. UCAS promotes partnership between prospective students, universities, colleges and schools.
Student finance sites
- Student Finance England provides online services and information for those in England who are interested in financial support for students in HE.
- Student Finance Northern Ireland provides online services and information for those in Northern Ireland interested in the financial support available to students in HE.
- Student Finance Wales provides online services and information for those in Wales interested in the financial support available to students in HE.
- Student Awards Agency for Scotland provides online services and information for those in Scotland interested in the financial support available to students in HE.
- The Office for Students (OfS) is the independent regulator of HE in England.
- The Scottish Funding Council (SFC) was established to distribute funds to support teaching and research in Scottish HE institutes and to provide the Secretary of State with information and advice relating to all aspects of higher education. SFC is a single body providing a strategic overview of tertiary education in Scotland and will secure a more coherent system of high-quality learning and research.
- Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) funds HE in Wales, using funding made available by the Welsh Government to support education, research and related activities at twelve HE institutions. HEFCW also funds the teaching activities of the Open University in Wales and HE courses at FE colleges.